RSS

The narcissism of blogging

28 Nov

BEST BLOG EVERShortly after I publish a new post on my blog, I put a link to it on Facebook. One of my friends linked to my latest post, the one in which I expressed my opinion on an article by Angela Jamenen in the Huffington Post. She wrote about why people ask you to go to church with them.

He apparently took exception to my post. His succinct comment was simply, “My God! Don’t you sound a bit narcissistic?”

The good news is that someone actually read my blog post. The bad news is that I found this comment from a person I respect and hold in high regard disconcerting.

Narcissistic? Me?

Narcissistic? Me?

Just to make sure I understood what my friend was saying (he’s Danish and lives in Copenhagen, so sometimes he is challenged by the nuances of the English language), I looked up the word “narcissism.”

It is defined as “a generalized personality trait characterized by egotism, vanity, pride, or selfishness.”

Hey, that’s not me, goddammit! Well, maybe some of it is. But I’m not a total narcissist.

Okay, yeah, I can see that perhaps I may come across that way in my blog. After giving this possibility some thought, I replied, perhaps somewhat defensively, to his comment:

Well, this was posted in my blog, and if you read my “About” page, you’ll see that my blog is “about things that occur to me, that happen to and around me, and that I find interesting, fascinating, provocative, or just plain crazy.” Notice how many times the word “me” is in there. So, yes, perhaps I may sound a bit narcissistic in my blog postings. But it’s my personal blog, right? So, by definition, it’s all about MY perceptions, MY opinions, MY experiences, and MY observations.

My friend’s response was “Well, it was posted on MY wall, so I comment it as I see it.”

I actually didn’t intend to post the link to my blog on HIS wall. I’m pretty sure it showed up on his news feed, not on his wall. Although I have to admit that I don’t really understand where things end up once posted on Facebook. I’m not sure I even understand the difference between one’s “news feed” and one’s “wall.”

Rather than letting it rest, though, I decided to respond to his last comment. I wrote:

And you have every right to comment as you see it, just as I have every right to comment on your comment, which, by the way, was agreeing with you that my blog post may have sounded a bit narcissistic. But the same thing can be said about virtually any personal blog post, right? Even about most Facebook posts, as well. After all, isn’t the point of Facebook to tell their world, “Hey, look at me, see what I’m doing, see where I am, see who I’m with. Aren’t I special?” I posit that everyone who posts to Facebook sounds a bit narcissistic.

My friend was right, though. Blogging, by its very nature, is narcissistic. Many blogs are personal journals or online diaries. It used to be that people kept their diaries or journals under lock and key hidden in a desk drawer lest anyone see their innermost thoughts or secrets.

Today, though, people post their personal journals on the internet for the whole world to marvel at. Isn’t blogging, then, the epitome of narcissism?

Harsh but true

In a post on a site called Psych Central, psychologist John M. Grohol wrote:

Most blogs are drivel, banal shit written by angst-ridden teenagers and adults sharing feelings, thoughts, and mind-numbing details about their daily lives that provide little insight into anything or anyone.

Whoa, John. That’s a bit harsh, isn’t it? True, but harsh nonetheless. Grohol went on to say,

The best online journals and blogs keep moving, growing, and changing directions, mirroring the author’s own life. They are constantly there, being added to, but if a day or two goes by without an entry, the reader doesn’t feel disappointed. The reader knows and understands that a person can’t perform every single day of their lives. That, in fact, such breaks remind us of our offline lives and responsibilities, and how they’re not always that interesting or need to be shared. In fact, this is what often separates a good journal from a horrible one.

Grohol’s comments are slightly dated, as they predated Facebook and Twitter. With Facebook and Twitter, nothing is too uninteresting not to be shared, it seems.

Many blogs, including my own, were created for no other reason than to allow the blogger to have fun. Like many bloggers, I simply enjoy writing, and I mostly write for myself. I’m not that concerned about how much traffic my blog gets or how many comments people post. It’s a creative process and I enjoy doing it. It’s a hobby.

If someone does comment on one of my posts, whether directly on my blog or on my Facebook page after linking to my blog from there, I consider it a bonus, even if the comment is a negative one. Someone read my blog and was stimulated enough to take the time to post a comment.

This, essentially, is what blogging is all about. It’s a selfie, but with words instead of a picture. It’s more than just “a bit narcissistic.” It’s the embodiment of narcissism.

42 Comments

Posted by on November 28, 2013 in Blogging

Tags: , , , , , , ,

42 responses to “The narcissism of blogging

1. Mertavius

November 29, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I see what your getting at, but blogging isn’t narcissistic. Blogging is a persons way of reaching out to the world. Its what makes us human.

Narcissism is having people focus on you, for no reason other than its you. Most people write blogs that provide some sort of entertainment value to people who read them.

2. Doobster418

November 29, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I think most people, myself included, write blogs because they believe that they are so interesting, so intelligent, so witty, so unique, and so articulate that others will be entertained and informed by what they have to say. Here’s MY perspective, here’s MY opinion, this is MY observation. Read what I have to say. Isn’t it great?

And isn’t that the definition of narcissism?

3. makagutu

December 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Narcissist or not, it’s a good way to connect with people. And depending on the blogs a person follows, one finds those that are very informative and it’s only personal to the extent that it has a person’s footprint on it but the information contributes to our common pool of knowledge

4. Steve Morris

January 1, 2014 at 2:36 am

Lots of good stuff in here. I like your idea about a blog being a selfie, but with words!

January 1, 2014 at 9:11 am

Thanks for stopping by, Steve. Yeah, I thought that “selfie with words” thing was pretty clever, if I do say so my selfie!

5. Lucy

January 4, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Love the selfie description. Clever!

January 4, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Why thank you very much, Lucy. I try…and sometimes I actual am. Sometimes.

6. Shortstack

June 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Blogging can be a way to share perspectives and ideas. It can also be an open forum for discussions and conversations, which lead to further knowledge and deeper understanding. In this way, the voyeurism of writing journal entries traditionally written and read by oneself facilitates knowledge acquisition and the search for Truth. Descartes advocated for the merits of traveling the world as a means of learning these differing perspectives to uncover Truth. Blogging, in this sense, can be akin to traveling, but from the comfort of one’s armchair. Not the same as traveling, sure, but certainly a healthy alternative for those unable to do so. Thus, in that regard, blog on, share your thoughts – blogging in the open could change you and others for the better, and that is an important virtue of open communication that the internet has afforded.

However, on the same token, inherent “social media” may also be indulging and encouraging the narcissist who would normally only use a journal as an outlet – now we have Facebook, Twitter, blogging, et cetera. If I recall, there are studies examining these things, since the phenomenon is a fairly new one and we are just starting to scientifically examine the impact of social media and the open web, so for now, I speak conjecture.

As far as open blogging, though, it’s up to the writer to be willing to accept that others will disagree, and possibly use persuasion to change the writer’s perspective. And therein, while not a responsibility per se, might be a pseudo-responsibility to be wise to tricks of manipulation and persuasion and logical fallacy, not only to be wise to them, but also to not use them oneself. Lots of drivel and misinformation is spread across the internet like it’s fact, so if a blogger is to contribute to the conversation, be prepared to be critical of what one reads and what one espouses on the internet. This critical thinking is even more paramount with the age of the internet than ever. Don’t be afraid to have opinions, but be even more willing to change the opinion given new, sound information.

Overall, however, despite the inherently self-centred nature of online journals (they are simply a more open medium for a journal, which few would suggest is a narcissistic thing, and would often encourage one to write as people like Anne Frank did), they can open dialogue and broaden perspectives, and even if it turns out they feed narcissism, in my opinion the more important thing is that they invite dialogue. Some of the best parts, I’ve found, in “articles” or “blogs,” is the comment section, where people are invited to offer their perspectives on the authors’ and others words. If one commentor says something stupid or incorrect or illogical, they are often called out on it (though other times not, which is why critical thinking is an important skill). Blogs – encouraging narcissism, perhaps. Conversation starter? Definitely.

So please, blog on. You might have some blog posts that say little to the world, and you might have a blog post that changes the world. I want to see THAT. :)

June 25, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for your well-thought-out comment. And I do intend to blog on, although it’s highly unlikely that my blog is one that will change the world.

7. Rose

August 25, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I really appreciate this article, as I have had a lot of qualms about blogging for this very reason: who am I to think that others would find my thoughts interesting? Nonetheless, I am fascinated by the blogs of others. Also, I read a lot of comments that argued that blogging/facebook is a way of connecting with others. I actually think that for a lot of people, simply getting attention form people through the internet can like a replacement for more intimate connections that people really want- relationships that ultimately aren’t narcissistic.

August 25, 2014 at 1:34 pm

If you have something interesting to say, offer a unique perspective, or a well-thought through opinion, and express yourself effectively, people will be interested in reading your thoughts. Bloggers do enjoy the community that exists among us, and for some it might serve as a substitute for real world connections. But I think for most, it’s just an outlet for self-expression, perhaps a more thoughtful, longer form outlet than Facebook or Twitter.

8. morelikecantcer

October 14, 2014 at 1:18 pm

This is so great! I struggle with the narcissistic aspect of blogging, but that’s sure not gonna stop me. I found your blog through insanity bytes, I always enjoy the banter between you two after her posts :)

October 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’m glad you made your way here to this post and to my blog. Yes, IB and I do sometimes get into it. Our world views are pretty much at opposite ends of the spectrum, but I do respect her and I do enjoy her posts.

• morelikecantcer

October 16, 2014 at 9:52 am

It’s obvious that you two respect each other, what’s why reading the comments there are actually worthwhile, unlike most banter between people of two different world views.

Liked by 1 person

9. insanitybytes22

October 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm

That was really a cute and well written post, Doobster. I’m glad you linked to it.

Writing in general has some narcissistic elements to it. Even if you eliminate all the “I statements,” all the me’s in there, it still becomes a self portrait that eventually reveals to the world who you really are.

Naturally I have to disagree with you, of course. It’s not quite narcissism, because a big part of writing is really about writing for readers, trying to give them something they can relate to, enjoy, be entertained by. LOL, it’s also really hard! Taking a selfie and expecting to be praised simply for existing is a whole other matter.

Liked by 1 person

October 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Naturally you have to disagree with me. I would expect no less, IB. But you have to admit that if you believe that you can write for readers, give them something that they can relate to, enjoy, and be entertained by, you think pretty highly of yourself and your writing skills, which is a form of narcissism, given that one of the definitions of narcissism is having a grandiose view of one’s own talents.

• insanitybytes22

October 15, 2014 at 5:20 am

LOL, no Doobster, I think you just speak of plain old arrogance. Arrogance is just a character trait, narcissism is an entire state of being.

October 15, 2014 at 6:36 am

Well, narcissism is an inordinate fascination with oneself, right? And arrogance is an attitude of superiority, a display of superiority or self-importance. So wouldn’t that make arrogance, if not a synonym for narcissism, a subset of narcissism, or perhaps a less all-consuming form of it? Maybe narcissism is merely a more extreme or intense manifestation of plain old arrogance.

10. luckyotter

October 14, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Reblogged this on Lucky Otter's Haven and commented:
    I saw this and just had to reblog it. It’s hilarious because it’s so true!

October 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thanks for the reblog. It is true, isn’t it?

• luckyotter

October 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

It sure is! A selfie in words, like you said. I always thought it was pretty ironic that my blog is primarily about narcissism but writing about narcissism is pretty narcissitic. shamelessly pimping my blog for another follow lol

11. Opinionated Man

October 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I’m a narpicissist.

Liked by 1 person

October 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm

A “narpicissist”? Okay, what is that? Even Google shit the bed on that one. :-)

• Opinionated Man

October 14, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hahahaha my word sounds more fun… And dangerous.

October 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Well, it could be worse. You could be a narpsichordist.

12. Marianne

October 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm

If a blogger doesn’t like this blog post then they must not be narcissicistic. Wait. what?
    Loved it. Cuz it’s true! Blog on.

October 14, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Thanks Marianne. Yes, whoever doesn’t like this post is clearly too self-centered to get it! And yes, I do believe that it is very true. Hey, we are who we are…we’re bloggers.

Liked by 1 person

13. walt walker

October 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm

You are absolutely right about most blogs being like a selfie. That’s precisely why I like so few of them.

Liked by 1 person

October 15, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I don’t follow that many either, but I guess that depends upon what “that many” means to you. Right now I have 53 on my follow list, which is the most I think I’ve ever been following. If I discover a new blogger that looks interesting, I may follow that blogger initially to see what they’re all about, but for every one I end up continuing to follow, I probably stop following 2 or 3. I’m pretty particular about the blogs I follow.

• walt walker

October 16, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Agreed, That’s what I do, too. I don’t know how many I follow, but it’s less than that.

• walt walker

October 17, 2014 at 7:21 am

Well, I’ll be duhrned. I checked, and I’ve got you beat at 67. I would have guessed way less than that. I think that’s because there’s quite a few on my list that so rarely post anymore, if at all, that I’d forgotten about them.

October 17, 2014 at 7:51 am

I tend to go through my list of followers every couple of months and if someone hasn’t posted within the last two months, I figure they’ve abandoned their blog or just have nothing to say, so I remove them from the list of bloggers I follower. And if there’s anyone on my list who hasn’t commented on a post of mine over the past couple of months, I remove them as well. That’s how I keep it to around 50 or so.

14. Hariod Brawn

November 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm

A bit harsh perhaps Doobster? Some blogs are altruistic aren’t they? Oh, okay then, one in a million are. Maybe.

Liked by 1 person

November 15, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Yeah, maybe one in a millions. I just haven’t found that needle in a haystack yet. This is not to say that there aren’t a lot of really great, funny, entertaining, informative, and provocative blogs out there. But even the best of them are, to one degree or another, narcissistic.

Liked by 1 person

15. Klein

November 27, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Blogging is not being narcissistic. It’s a way of expressing and sharing your thoughts towards something. In fact it’s a smart way of reaching out to other people through posts and pictures. After all, it isn’t SELFIE. Selfies are just too unprofessional. They’re a big NO to professional profiles.

November 28, 2014 at 7:44 am

This from the person whose blog — or at least where I get when I click on your name — is all about showcasing your talent and whose gravitar is a selfie? Seriously?

16. drsamlopez

December 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Thank you for your helpful information about this deadly relational disease. If you don’t mind, I have some videos I’ve made on narcissism that your readers might be interested in:

Dr. Sam

What say you?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Observations from Oblivion

thoughts and reflections that originate between my ears

WriterInSoul

Observations, insights, memories, photos, humor

naptimethoughts

livin' the dream.

Behind the White Coat

Beats a real human heart...

My Self Evident Truths...

valid arguments against may be considered

Notes Tied On The Sagebrush

Writing About Life

Random thoughts

Random musings about everything.

Just Plain Ol' Vic

Try it...you may like it...

My Journey - Questions & Observations of a Skeptic

Realizing how little I know, I want to write about what I am thinking and read what others think in response

FiftyFourandAHalf

More than just another wiseass

Flies and Buddha

At the river, the frog may frown, but the cow will still drink!

Mark Bialczak

What will I write about next?

Dear Diary

Catchy Tagline Coming Soon!

WordPress.com News

The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.

Sonmi's Cloud

Wanderings and wonderings from a sentient cloud.

Janey Does Blogging

She loves talking about herself in the third person.

It Goes On

"In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on" - Robert Frost

Not A Punk Rocker

Embracing my dorkiness, embarrassing my kid & blogging for the hell of it.

Gibber Jabberin

Q & A,Dumbassery,Sarcasm,Humor

Willow's Corner

Because why not?

misanthropy misunderstood

A public diary of personal reflections

HarsH ReaLiTy

My goal with this blog is to offend everyone in the world at least once with my words… so no one has a reason to have a heightened sense of themselves. We are all ignorant, we are all found wanting, we are all bad people sometimes.

Some Kernels of Truth

A WordPress site covering a wide range of subjects, including good books and the absurdities of daily life!

Idiot Writing

'all our lives are a poetry - awake our souls.' ~ Battling the hypocrite within ~

Logos con carne

Another voice in the interweb wilderness

Amusing Nonsense

Writings on Everything and Nothing

Ned's Blog

Humor at the Speed of Life

Just something I was thinking about . . .

Not trying to persuade you to think my way, but to make you think period.

Godless Cranium

Random musings of a godless heathen

waltbox

musings, humor, fiction

Another Spectrum

Personal ramblings and rants of a somewhat twisted mind

A Collection of Musings

A witty outlook on everyday issues you don't usually think about

Truth Shall Set You Free So Don't Be A Crybaby

A dash of wit, A sprinkle of snark, A pinch of sarcasm, and some classy sass all baked in at 450 degrees!

The Daily Post

The Art and Craft of Blogging

Sapient Chronicles

following my imagination

lindaghill

Life in progress

Cordelia's Mom, Still

Just Good Reading!

Boomer Connection

Our journeys are the bridges that connect us one to another

colemining

made of the myth

I Tried Being Tasteful...

BUT THE STRAIN WAS TOO MUCH FOR ME

Unapologetics

Religion, atheism, philosophy

A.C. Melody

It's not my fault, my characters made me do it...

Malaphors

Unintentional blended idioms and phrases - It's the cream of the cake!

the EXCESSIVE GARDENER

adventures in defensive gardening

Me - Who am I?

Life - How it changes you. Where you go. Who you become.

Waking of the Bear

Living in this world

Aging Gracefully My Ass

A sincere blog about a donkey

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,599 other followers